Sunday, October 28, 2007

I've alway known what I want to be - so why did I become so many other things instead?

I knew I wanted to be a writer when I was ten years old. I don't remember ever thinking it over - I just knew. So why is it that I have studied and worked and practiced to be so many other things instead?

Despite a deep love for all books, I never really wanted to be a librarian. Yet I've spent the last 25 years sitting behind a desk in a public library.

Although I love history and have alway enjoyed family stories, I never had any intention of becoming even an amateur genealogist. And yet, I'm on the board of the Missouri Genealogical Association and I spend quite a bit of time doing genealogy research. I never intended to be a genealogy speaker. But I've given genealogy presentations in four different counties.

I certainly never expected to design web sites. But almost as soon as web sites appeared I was deep into learning all about it. Why did I do that?

I want to write. I want to BE a writer. Always have wanted that with all my heart. But I spend my days being a librarian and way too many of my evenings being a genealogist and a web
master.

No comments: